Thursday, August 04, 2005

dauphin-swan river

all that keeps me from being more strident about electoral reform is the massive nostalgia that comes up when i consider the practical implications of changing the system. we'd have to rename all the ridings, and there would be a lot fewer. canada has some very gorgeous riding names. i'd like to change the few provincial names that are still dull and make them a little more descriptive. from delta north to delta-anniedale. from cariboo north to cariboo-quesnel. from delta south to delta-tsawwassen. from north coast to prince rupert-haida gwaii. from prince george north to prince george-williston lake. from cariboo south to cariboo-chilcotin. from east kootenay to kootenay-cranbrook.

most good riding names will allude to an area's history, without being brutal about it. vancouver-quadra, for example. it would be honest to rename vancouver east to vancouver-commercial drive, or vancouver-grandview. we should rename the federal vancouver-kingsway kensington-collingwood, or collingwood-cedar cottage.

i like the concept of geosynchronous earth orbit. in space, but tied to a specific piece of land. floating, but not adrift.

while i've never been interested in narcotics, i'm having a hard time not taking benadryl as a recreational drug. it is a serious sedative. not to the extent of putting me to sleep, but detaching me, making my muscles very still. i feel that i'd rather not move, as though severe inertia is keeping me in place. my reaction time and initiative are restricted. while i'll take things in, and have responses at hand, it just seems easier to stay still and quiet. so long as i pop a pill when i know that the next four-five hours will require no significant effort on my part, my effectiveness is uncompromised. i've made the mistake of doing this before meetings, which puts me effectively out of commission. there are some meetings before which i wouldn't mind a sedative, though.

i picked up this alice munro collection from the laundry room downstairs, where people leave books that they no longer want around. not paying for it meant that i had no investment ot expectation, which could explain how much enjoyment i'm getting out of it. tomorrow i'll be sleeping in, which means that i can read all night.

my itunes meltdown has forced me to listen to a lot of vinyl. now, paul simon, still crazy after all these years, which i will appreciate more when i'm older. my little town is still one of my favorite songs.

if i put songs on here to download via yousendit(the file stays up for 25 downloads or 7 days, whichever comes first), would you listen to them?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1: You were on the Citizen's Assembly. Shame on you.
2: You've got to start smoking more pot, man.
3: I still have Omega Man and I figured out how to make the TV work (well, Gar did). When are you coming over?

8:03 PM  
Blogger Derrick said...

1)it's kinda like stockholm syndrome, in a way.

2)pot hurts my throat. i don't like it. benadryl doesn't hurt at all...

3)we just got a disc of the west wing! we'll be over monday, maybe?

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

say NO to drugs, man!

i watched the omega man today. it was interesting. i'd seen parts of it before.

and i don't like charleton "from my cold dead fingers" heston.

you guys had the VCR output hooked up to the TV output. tsk tsk.

what if all of the people who knew how a vcr was hooked up died tomorrow? how would you people manage? there would be NO MORE viewing pleasure.

jeez. technophobes.

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mister.

I called you. You didn't answer your cellular phone.

What are you paying for if I can't even get ahold of you?

Hmm? HMM?

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home